Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Safari Park

What another full day.  We visited our favorite Safari park.  It really is great.  They have tons of neat animals that you can get really close up views.  That was just the surroundings for a day of pushing the limits and a mama who says no way.  Scott if you are reading this, I really am missing you.  First I have to say Katy really, really enjoyed most of her day.  She asked questions of each volunteer at each exhibit until I tore her away.  She was totally interested in everything.  She is a smart, witty little thing.  On the less than wonderful side she had her very stubborn moments of wanting her way.  For instance when we were feeding the giraffes she was struggling getting the branches off to feed them.  I tried to help and she wouldn't let me have it.  I got it from her and pulled a branch off but by that time she was in fit mode stamping her foot at me and giving me not so nice looks.  I had the guide explain to her that her mama would not give her anything if she asked for it like that.  She then began the loud crying.  All of the families thought she was hurt.  It was a tough stand for me to take.  Yes, it would have been easier and brought way less attention to this mean mama but I felt that boundaries need to be established ASAP.  Later as we were walking one of my favorite moms in our group came up to me and said, "you are a good mama".  I needed that because I wasn't feeling so hot at the time.  She told me that was a hard thing to do especially with so many people watching.  Anyway, we move on....Katy pushes......mama says no......mama says I love you to Katy and that I always will forever.......later I got a kiss on my cheek.  I think this battle will get worse but I am expecting it and ready.  She is precious, fiesty, cute, wild, and wonderful.  I look forward to how things will look for her in a few months.

Now changing topics a little.  Being here in China with adopted families doesn't look a thing like it did when we adopted Ellie.  Seven years ago there were tons of healthy baby girls everywhere.  Now there are older children and children with special needs and lots of boys.  As I look around I see families doing really hard things.  Well adoption in the best situation is hard and then you add special needs and age to that.  Here are a few things I have seen and people I have spoken with.  A couple with older grown kids and one child at home adopting an older girl with Downs Syndrome, a young couple adopting 2 children at the same time ages 2 and 4.  They have 3 at home under the age of 5.  Yes that is 5 under 5. To top it off their new daughter they find out has pretty severe CP.  They knew of her club feet but not the biggest problem.  They were ready for the unkown but it will be a tough road.  Another family with 10 kids at home now adopting 2 kids under 5 both with deformed lower limbs. Another with adopting 2 boys about 10 and 13.  You might ask what would causes these poeple to do this.  It is simple.  This kids need someone to love them and these familes get that and are willing to sacrifice much to care for them and give them a chance at a future with someone to love them.  It is a beautiful picture of God's love for us.  I am inspired and motivated by these people.  I have many poeple like this in my life that I want to honor for the love they bring to these children. Sonja, Tary,  Missy, Kristi, Jean, Stephanie, and the others of you that are reading this who I admire.  Blessings on each of you and your families.  Another group that I wouldn't want to walk this path without who have all love and adopted these little ones and are called my "playgroup friends".  We have met together with our children for 7 years now.  Yes our kids are in school but we still meet for encouragement and support every other wk.  They have prayed me through it all  and I want to say I love you guys. (Cheryl, Kim, Megan, Jeanine, Ann, and Rhonda).  I can't forget our friends Jeff and Nancy who haven't adopted themselves but that have actually adopted all of our kids as their own as they have loved and supported us through it all.  I'm not sure how we could do it without them.  Is this sounding like an awards speech?  I am just so overwhelmed and thankful for all the people that really have strengthened us and enable us to do what we do.  A few more.....our lifegroup bible study.  They have yet to tell us we are crazy. They just pray like we ask.  Both of our families have loved us and cared for us.  They love all of our children the same and are ready in a second to be there for us.  The biggest is my Jesus.  He is the reason I have any of this love to give.  Thank you God.  Sorry this is so long but I just needed to say it all.  My heart is just so full of thankfullness for what God is doing and how he is doing it.

This is my favorite picture.

I hope that none of your moms will do this with your children.

This was so sweet


This mama hippo forced her baby in for a swim.  

Scott and Wendi

Katy's friend Lina on the right.  She turned 14 today.  If she weren't adopted by today she would have never had the chance of a family.  She is beautiful.




The whole reason Leah came to China was to see this bear.  She loves panda's.  I'm really glad she came. She has been soooo good.  She doesn't fuss or complain and she is a wonderful big sister.  Patient and loving to Katy even when Katy steals her gum out of her purse.  Leah is a very special little girl. I would be completely lonely without her.


1 comment:

  1. So glad you didn't set our children on that dangerous ledge! We miss you all like crazy. Can't wait for your safe return. Love, your husband with the big chin (I think it was swollen from a bee sting or something :)

    ReplyDelete